Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Nerd News in Brief

There is not a word for how exhausted I am; there is only a sound. That sound is an odd cross between a soft whimper and supernaturally thunderous snoring. Frightening, no?

I’ve been a little confused of late regarding the apparent failing of my memory. Why, for example, didn’t I recall all the sleepless nights I spent with Li’l X. back when he was, y’know, little before Miss Twiggy made her appearance known? Perhaps it was because just enough time had passed as to shadow those recollections in the darker corners of my mind. Perhaps, in retrospect, that age of exhaustion simply seemed inconsequential when compared to all the fun we’ve had in the years since. Perhaps we humans have a genetic failsafe in place to purposefully make us forget such inconveniences so that we will continue to procreate for the good of the species.

Honestly, I think I was just so goddamned tired that the events themselves failed to register.

  • America’s Finest News Source: Nerdcore For Life has hit the big time. And by “big time” I mean the documentary has been mentioned in the only non-gaming periodical that I read regularly, The Onion. The only downside? Non commentary by Smoove B.
  • Vindication!: Not too very long ago, I shared my thoughts on the NC4L doc on this very blog. Interestingly enough, one of the film’s stars – the undeniable YTCracker – also posted a mini review a few days back, and it looks like the original DG and I agree on a number of points. Great minds, and all that.
  • He fronts the most: Church was nice enough to alert me to the fact that a recent episode of the Geek Cred podcast (ep. 20, for those of you keeping score at home) features an interview with our own MC Frontalot. And, if that doesn’t slake your geek culture podcast thirst, Matt suggests the This Week in Geek podcast. No Frontalot, I’m afraid, but there’s plenty of comic book talk to make up for it.
  • 15 miles to the Dork Shack: Also from Church comes a link to this uniquely nerdy piece from the Athens Exchange. It outlines the best places to geek out in Athens, which, given, the high hipster count, can be challenging. While I gotta gives props for including a nod to the UGA Quidditch League, I fail to see what’s so nerdy about the Athens Beard and Mustache Club. Although maybe I’m just jealous.
  • Let’s get it on: In his continued effort to touch on my favorite aspects of musical culture, Random is poised to release a Marvin Gaye tribute album. The first single “Hand Me Downs” is freely available, but only for a week. What are your still reading for?!
  • Coming back for seconds: The follow-up to nYgel’s Nature’s Outcasts is “coming together a lot faster than expected.” As a huge fan of his previous effort, I can’t help but be excited. A quick look at the project’s rough track listing (and its staggering list of contributors) will ensure that you, too, will be equally jazzed about the prospect.
  • To know him is to love him: While Beefy’s forthcoming album Rolling Doubles is, admittedly, taking longer than expected, the big guy has left us neither high nor dry. In the spirit of Wordburglar’s “Cream of Wheat,” Beefy has just released “Get to Know Me,” a “way chilled out random ass song.” Take a listen at his MySpace or bump the track at thesixtyone. (On second thought, just bump it at thesixtyone. I’ve got a lot of points riding on it.)
  • And speaking of: Congrats to Wordburglar for his triumphant appearance in LA music mag URB’s “Next 100.” Check out this post in Rhyme Torrents for the full scoop, and then go buy his 2006 release Burglaritis. I’m serious. Go buy it.
  • Wrock it: Congrats, also, to Wrockers The Weasel King and Split Seven Ways, this April’s Bands of the Month at Wizrocklopedia. SSS is a crazy prolific songwriter from the UK who, I can only assume, has released another album and 2 EPs in the time it’s taken you to read this, and The Weasel King is an American Wrocker who was kind enough to offer up a track to be (remixed and) included in the next Hipster, please! compilation.
  • Accio wiki: And speaking of the ‘Pedia, behold the glory of the new Wrock Wiki! Lizz and her band of marry muggles are, as always, hard at work to make your quest for Wizard Rock knowledge a little easier, and this is yet another example. Thanks, as always, to Matt for keeping me up to snuff on all things Wizard Rock.
  • With special guest stars: With the new Star Trek movie delayed, Church has proposed not one but two vids to tie you over in the interim. The first is a Federation take-off on an old TV classic, and the second… well, the second features Megos. ‘Nuff said.



No comments: