Have I gone all Mike Seaver on that ass? I have not.
I am simply pointing out that the nerd world is busting at the seams. Its dorktastic energy is seeping more and more into the real world. There is no hope to contain it.
Oh, but amidst all my walking about main street rocking my brand new "The End is Nigh" sandwich board, I did manage to cobble together a Nerd News in Brief.
- The Story so Far: Gather round, children, and hear the story of Mega Ran 9. ‘Tis a harrowing tale of fandom, hip-hop, and triumph. As told by the man himself.
- A Rose by Any Other Name: Compliments of Church comes this piece from WebWire concerning the ongoing geek vs. nerd debate. I understand that many, for whatever reason, prefer the former to the latter, but let it be known that I embrace all once-hurtful language leveled at our people. I’m taking it back!
- The Millennium Falcon for Christmas: Also from Church comes this link to more free music from Sci Fi Songs’ John Anealio. Give ‘em a listen, and give John some love.
- Laughably Interesting: Tiny Mix Tapes has a nice review of the Nerdcore Rising documentary available for your perusal. Give it a read, and then we shall debate whether or not the word "fluffy" was used in a positive light.
- Woke Up With a Monster: My sockpuppety pals from NYC have some fun things planned for the month of March. Catch Uncle Monsterface’s own Marty on Thursday, March 12 at Sputnik as he unveils 9 new Series 2.5 Sock Puppet Portraits. You can also catch the boys in Jersey on Friday, March 13 at Watchung Hills Regional High School’s benefit for Darfur and the following Thursday (March 19) at the Opening Night Party for the Boston Underground Film Festival. If you can attend either of the three, please provide some extra joyful screaming on my behalf.
- Two Times the Power: Meanwhile, my boys from Dual Core also have some exciting things lined up. They’ll be appearing with Shael Riley and MC Plus+ at ToxCity Game Center in Greenwood, IN for an all-ages show on Friday, March 27, at the WVU Institute of Technology’s TechLAN charity LAN party on April 4, and at this year’s Notacon in mid-April. And peep this handsome article about the guys from Cincinnati Magazine. Truly everything is coming up Dual Core!
- Insert Bald Guy/Bowling Pin Joke Here: And lest I forget, Shael Riley will be appearing with Bizarro Stylus at Florida’s Casselberry Lanes AMF Bowling Alley on Saturday, March 21. He’s also been booked at Espresso Yourself Music Cafe just outside of Cleveland for March 18. I listed those in reverse chronological order to spice shit up.
- Making My job Easier: MC Lars saved me a lot of typing by posting his March/April 2009 tour schedule at nerdcoretour.com. UK nerds should pay particular attention to these dates.
- These Gigantic Girl Parts Kill: Lars has also been interviewed at Suicide Girls. Therein the talks about the new album. And does not expose a perky, pierced nipple.
- Start a RIOT: Let me join my brother Anthony in suggesting that all fans of glitch, chiptunes, and awesomeness check out the new Pause Music release from Videogame Orchestra. I’m a big supporter of both II and VGO, and neither has ever done me wrong.
- Video(games) Killed the Radio Star: Speaking of VGM, may I now turn your attention to this wonderful piece from or own Doctor Popular at culture hub the Laughing Squid. It’s all about game-themed music videos. Enjoy it in all its 8-bit splendor.
- I’m a Floating Head: And to take us out of this snow-capped week (at least for those of us along the eastern seaboard) is a very literal interpretation of they Might Be Giant’s "Birdhouse in Your Soul." It is 1990 all over again.