Damn you CBS!
I had such high hopes for Pirate Master. I did, and I'm not ashamed to say it as my love of piracy precedes me. But of course it fuckin' sucked ‘cause, y'know, it's a reality show and a midseason replacement at that.
I reckon sometimes I just expect too much.
*le sigh* Here's some More Nerd News in Brief.
- SOLD!: Big up to nerdcore superfan Bandog for kicking in a cool 71 bones to help get ZeaLouS1 to Florida. I mean, he got a treasure trove of rare and unreleased nerdcore tracks for his trouble, but big up to the lad anyways!
- Not to be confused with The Fox and the Hound : If you, consequently, would like to jam to something a little further away from the nerdy rap game but still imminently geek-friendly, I'd humbly suggest a new NYC-based collective calling itself FOXHOUND. They skillfully incorporate jazzy brass and bright rock sounds to create a flavor of game rock heretofore uncharted. Give the self professed “MOST. BAND. EVER” a listen over at their MySpace.
- Embrace your doom: While you're MySpacing it up, you might also wanna peep this bulletin . If my readin' skills are still up to par, it appears as though Captured By Robots and Stovokor have joined forces for a gig at Berbati's Pan in Portland. It's $10 at the door, and kicks of at 9:00 in the PM. And it's 21+, so as to spare the children the gruesome site of all-out rock decimation!
- Never Gonna Give You Up: My brothers at Northwest Nerdcore have seen fit to favor us with another edition of the NWNC podcast. However, I can neither confirm nor deny the inclusion of Rick Astley in their revelry.
- For those about to rock: My other brothers over at Game Music 4 All are putting on their first ever concert this Saturday at CIA in North Hollywood. The show starts at 8:00 PM, and features VGM from Two Playa Game, 8 Bit Bandit, Super Barrio Brothers, Toploader, and The Megas. Plus there's a Guitar Hero II Tournament. All this for ten bucks plus you get first crack at GM4A's compilation album Music EXP!
- All samples (un)cleared: Nerdcore producer and all around remixing mastermind nYgel recently announced a soon-to-be released nerdcore mixtape. In his own words: “ I have several, of what I feel are the best suited for this project, artists who are on this with me. I plan on several things on this tape but mainly [it's] just something this ... community hasn't yet been exposed to.” I, for one, can't wait to hear this shit.
- North of the Border: Canadian hip-hop demi-god Wordburglar will be performing at NXNE on Thursday, June 07 at 11:00 PM as part of a showcase entitled “A Geographical Lesson in Hip Hop.” Burg'll be going on at 11:00 PM, so get their early and plan to stay late.
- More pirates!: And lastly, the results are in. mc chris has announced who'll be opening for him at his full-tilt nerd-fest in Eugene, OR in July. Congrats to the folks who made the cut, and thanks to everyone who participated in the voting.