It's nice to think that even YouTube, that bastion of time-wasting ridiculousness, can take a few moments a year to talk about charities in need of donations. It kind of makes me wonder if I should occasionally turn this blog into an engine for change.
Someday that might happen, but today ain't it.
Today let's simply enjoy another mindless Nerd News in Brief!
- Last Minute Gift Idea: Still short a gift for the impotent Jedi in your life? Why not treat him to this t-shirt so that every 2-bit bounty hunter and wannabe Sith Lord in the sector knows his secret shame?
- Like No Other: What would you do if I told you that Just Another Lazy Podcast was returning to the (fake) airwaves? Would you scream and soil yourself? Fine then; I won't tell you.
- Totally Glitched: The venue for the European premiere of Nerdcore For Life and its related concert has been announced. The event will occur at Amsterdam's Club Panama, and tickets are available now.
- The 2nd Time Around: Rhyme Torrents Volume 8 CD 2 is also now available for download. It features some tight work MC Lars, Random, Grandmaster Pink, nYgel, and many more. It's cover art features KABUTO and, like, some other dudes.
- You Will Be Crushed: Some more nerdy hip-hop newness also arrived in the form of Id Obelus's The Inevitable Crushing EP. Id prides himself on having a style that's a bit beyond the ordinary with regard to content, flow, and presentation, but whether or not you've felt his previous releases I'm gonna have to highly recommend that you check this one out. It's got an energy all its own, and it has joined The Digital Gangster LP on my list of superlative late-comers for 2008.
- Pirates vs. Wizards: And also on the subject of new music, we will shortly be treated to freshness from both Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew and RiddleTM. Yep, we're covering all bases.
- Knitting Nerds: Jason of Geek Studies passed on a link to Geek Central Station, an amazing blog dedicated to geeky crafting. It's this kind of stuff that makes me lament the fact that I am totally incapable of creating such nerdery. Quick! Someone knit me a Little Sister and Big Daddy!
- Payment Due at the Time Services are Rendered: Random took a little time away from his Mega Man 9 project to breath new life into an old classic. What's not to love about Ran covering Eric B and Rakim's "Paid in Full?" Nothing.
- The End of an Era: Jesse Dangerously recently blogged that CD Baby has the last known physical copy of Eastern Canadian World Tour 2002. Yep, the last of the Mohicans. And Jesse says he's decided not to press anymore, so get it while you can!
- Survey Says!: Quick poll – what's of more interest to you, A) a WoW-themed restaurant or B) a Star Trek-themed casino? If you answered B, you are very old. Just like me and Church.
- Back on the Road: Once again the Geek Comedy Tour is coming to town. Assuming that, in your case, said "town" is the greater DC area. The rest of us will just have to get our geek comedy the old fashioned way: by watching Robocop as a Rap Musical.
- Spit Wack on the Mic: Pinky hooked me up with a link to this bit from D*Face's aPOPcalypse NOW doumentary. It features a little music from our old friend MC Frontalot around the 2 minute mark, and is awesome throughout.
- SPUN: And speaking of Front, the Godfather of Nerdcore was recently named Artist of the Day by SPIN. Sadly, he is no longer indier than thou.
- For the Cause: You can hear exclusive tracks from Frontalot, Beefy, The Grammar Club, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Jonathan Coulton, and many more on the newly released Child's Play CD 2008. Not exactly the flashiest title in the world, but it tells you what you need to know; it's great music for a great cause.
- Ladies Night: In the event that you've recently taken to living under a rock, a pair of particularly talented geeky artists – both of whom happen to be of the female persuasion – are getting some much-needed attention. The first is Alaskan songstress Marian Call, whose Got to Fly album is thematically centered on Firefly, Serenity, and Battlestar Galactica, as well as the nerds who enjoy them. Meanwhile, ukulele ninja Molly is currently laying the ultimate smackdown on YouTube thanks to an intoxicating blend of inspired covers, impressive co-conspirators, and undeniable charm. And of course, Matt is hopelessly in love with both.
- Out to Do You In: Thanks to reader Oli (who actually found the site via the namedrop in Beefy's track "Disconnected") for turning me on to Euro geek rockers The Do You Inverts. They write songs about Gears of War and Too Human. And are fuckin' amazing.
- Santa in his Prius: Taking us out on this delightful pre-Christmas weekend is the new video for MC Lars's "I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas." It features Jaret Reddick of Bowling For Soup, as well as a cameo from Trogdor the Burninator at the 2:25 mark. Freeze-frame it and see!