Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Radio Free Hipster Ep. 116: Ugly Summer

Fun fact: I actually got the title of this episode from NPR. During a segment concerning the uprisings in Libya and Syria, the riots in London and the crush of recent natural disasters, the commentator referred to a bloody, ugly summer marked by violence and destruction. The phrase stuck in my mind.

Okay, admittedly that's not what you'd call a riveting tale; it's not exactly a keen look into my creative process, but it's something. And that's more than nothing.

Admittedly, this edition closes out the season on a bit of an odd note. But then again, I am nothing if not odd myself.

Download Radio Free Hipster Ep. 116: Ugly Summer [hosting provided by Antisoc] Size: 64.6 MB Running Time: 49:08

Show Notes:

Intro: Baddd Spellah – "Radio Free Hipster Theme (feat. Beefy)"
It's a warm-weather jam in itself.

Track 1: Backburner - "Heatwave"
The entire Heatwave album is now streaming free at Bandcamp. Check it out.

Z's 1st interlude: "One of my go-to seasonal themes."
Skip that; I am nothing if not consistent.

Track 2: Shael Riley and the Double Ice Backfire - "Here Comes the Hotstepper"
"MURDERAH!"

Track 3: Odyssey & The DNA Team - "My Little Pony Theme (Europener Mix)"
I really need to hold off on the MLP tracks, as I reckon Church is gonna have a grocery list of 'em ready for next month's drunkcast.

Track 4: Chaz Kangas - "Young, Gifted and Chaz"
Because rapping over the theme from The Critic is never a bad idea.

Track 5: Tribe One - "Different"
I gotta give it up to Tribe; this song is beautiful. Moreover, it was just the song I needed to hear.

Track 6: Go Home Productions - "Easy Divide"
Unfortunately I had a hard time following "Different" up, but I think this track did the trick.

Track 7: the modrats - "She's an Elf"
I totally didn't realize these guys were from SC until I was compiling my show notes!

Z's 2nd interlude: "The steam and the stink of a long, hot summer."
I honestly have no idea where I come up with this shit.

Track 8: The Deftones - "My Own Summer (Shinobi Ninja Rolling Stoned Remix feat. Skoob of Das EFX)"
You must own Hashy Larry. Make it yours.

Track 9: nYgel - "Rhyme Well [Interlude]"
This one is from nYgel's latest Antique Bird Collection, a mix that ain't even out yet!

Track 10: Maniac Robot - "You Said"
Something funky happened when I was recording/editing my narration that seemed to remove my reference to the proper name of this duo. That being said: Maniac Robot.

Track 11: Mega Ran - "Pump It Up! (feat. Adam WarRock)"
Gonna be nice to hear this joint performed live on the fall tour.

Track 12: K.Flay - "2 Weak"
There's just something sort of half-depressing and half-whimsical about this one. I kinda had to wrap up the set with it.

Z's final interlude: "The Sean Combs maneuver."
Y'all know what I'm talking about.

Track 13: Jackson 5 vs. Kid Rock - "I Want You Back All Summer Long (Calmucho Mashup)"
For the record, "All Summer Long" isn't Kid Rock's worst transgression. That would be that god-awful duet he did with Sheryl Crow. That is, quite possibly, the worst song ever.

Next month we once again pause to celebrate drunken podcasting. As is tradition.

Listen for the annual RFH drunkcast in late September, with a special episode in the earlier half of the month. But I've also got plans to guest on another podcast's inebriated festivities, because Drunken Podcasting Month is truly the season of sharing!

3 comments:

Jarod said...

If are you in need of MLP tracks I do have the unofficial soundtrack with all of the songs. Only other stuff I have is the 8 bit tracks, Equestria Girls, Dub Step remixes and more.

mbailey7 said...

Fantastic Episode. Not that that's a rarity, but this Ep blew me away. I can't tell you how badly I needed this, it's literally made my day. I don't give you nearly enough praise for the awesome work you do Z. Thank you.

Z. said...

I can't imagine I'll run out of brony tracks anytime soon, Jarod -- Church sends me more prettu much weekly -- but if I do I'll definitely holler.

I am so happy to hear that, Phoenix! This show helped me through a pretty rough patch over the last week, so I"m glad to know it did the same for you. :)