Thursday, October 19, 2006

Nerd news in brief

There are some things that are going on. Believe it. Even now things are occurring. Some of these things are nerd related. I shit you not! Here I will mention some of them briefly. Thus the title of this post.

  • This weekend, Optimus Rhyme and MC Frontalot begin their fall mini-tour. This is, of course, not to be confused with the dreaded "Fall Minotaur." The former takes place in Cambridge MA, NYC, and DC and features Shael Riley and Doug Powell. The latter roams the wilds of northwestern Washington state and eats children.
  • Beefy and DJ Snyder have once again joined forces in the name of a Song Fight! The track is a triumph of awesomeness. Don’t believe me? See (hear) for yourself!
  • This month marked the notable death of an American rock ‘n’ roll landmark. CBGBs, legendary Bowery rock ‘n’ roll club, closed its doors for real on the 15th. This should disturb you not merely as music lovers but also as nerds, as geeky art-rockers Talking Heads cut their teeth at the venue.
  • Another unfortunate passing this month is that of video game developer Clover Studios. Last week it was announced that Capcom will completely dissolve the studio early next year.
  • Good news for the non-athletes among us: it appears as though our ranks will swell in future generations, as age-old playground activities are being banned from schools nation-wide. This shouldn’t be a problem, as American youth are renowned for their level of physical activity and svelte physiques.
  • And lastly, in case you missed it, here’s last Friday’s Foxtrot comic. It is of particular relevance to our people:

Uber-Geek!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Regarding the new Beefy + Snyder track: I used to live in Iowa. That's where I went to college. Not only that but I introduced your music to my friends. So I'm pretty certain that factoid is wrong.

2) Foxtrot is more nerdcore than I am... at least Jason is. My recent favorite strip was "Query Eye for the Database Guy"

3) My email is broken, so I can send mail just fine, but I can't recieve any. If you sent me any mail in the last couple days, I probably didn't get it.

Anonymous said...

cbgb's noooooooooooooo!

Z. said...

Interesting point, Soc. You should bust Beefy on that one! And yes, Jason is the shit.

I’m saddened by the news as well, Amy. ‘Tis a dark day for music.