Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Literally

I have yet to fully grasp the whole "literal video" YouTube phenomenon. I mean, thanks to the fine folks at Know Your Meme I now understand that a "Take on Me" send-up from Funny or Die started the revolution, but I guess I just find the concept more humorous in theory than in actual application.

That being said, I was introduced yesterday to this literal interpretation of Frontalot's "Spoiler Alert" vid by bassist/man about town Bl4k Lotus, and I really dig it. Maybe it's because Brandon is my homeboy. Maybe it's just because the video – even in its original form – is so perfectly surreal that it appeals to my inner absurdist.

I dunno.

Anyway, here it is. Give it a look, and feel free to weigh in.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It is rare for me to find one of the "literal" videos that I like too. I do enjoy this one though.

Z. said...

Glad to hear it, Randolph. :)

Anonymous said...

My favorite literal video will always be Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

Lo Tech said...

This is the first 'literal video' I've seen! It's weird...but has potential to be interesting!

Church said...

The weirder the video, the better the literal version is. It's going to be hard to top this one.

Z. said...

I haven't seen that one, Anonymous Stranger, but I'll look it up.

It's a nice introduction to the concept, Lo.

Agreed, Church - this one is so silly that it really works well when taken literally.

Insane Ian said...

I actually really enjoy the literal videos, but honestly, the only two hat work are the Take on Me and aforementioned Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse...and now this one.

Z. said...

Glad to know that even those who enjoy the medium are discriminating viewers, Ian. ;)

Anarchangel said...

I didn't know this had turned into a meme, but I like most of the videos by the original literal video people (including Take On Me and Total Eclipse). This one's pretty good too, although perhaps not quite as literal as I would have liked.

Z. said...

Sure it could be more literal-er, but it has bears, Anarch! Warrior bears! ;)

Anarchangel said...

I can dig it! I think of that as more of a characteristic of the original video though.

Z. said...

Tis true. Perhaps Brandon doesn't get as literal as he could with some of the scenes.