Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Radio Free Hipster Ep. 102: Double Stuf

If you find this particular episode to be too lengthy, I suggest you take it up with Snipe, Data, Scott, Kyle and Vincent. They said it was okay to extend this show out a bit, it being my last one of the year. So, y'know, totally their fault. ;)

That being said, this edition is positively loaded with studious hip-hop, quirky covers and bitpop galore, so I can't imagine you'll mind.

Download Radio Free Hipster Ep. 102: Double Stuf [hosting provided by Antisoc] Size: 61.5 MB Running Time: 1:07:16 Subscribe to RFH 

Show Notes:

Intro: Baddd Spellah – "Radio Free Hipster Theme (feat. Beefy)"
Spellah and Beefy, or as I like to call them Father Time and Baby New Year. 

Track 1: Illbotz – "At the Trap" / "Gyeah!"
I can't help but admire Stevie D's near preternatural whiteness!

Z's 1st interlude: "That's exactly what I'm gonna do today."
Yep, my usual year-end show. Don't even act surprised. 

Track 2: Wordburglar – "Walking Dope"
New hotness from Burg! 

Track 3: Glee dialog / Harry and the Potters & Erwin Beekveld – "Felix Felicis [Eighth Clockwise Stir Mix]"
Because a reggae-dub Wizard Rock remix is exactly the kind of thing every New Year's Eve party needs. 

Track 4: Hidden Fortress – "Apotheosis (feat. Modulok)"
I'll be reviewing Hidden Fortress's All That Is next month. 

Track 5: The Office dialog / Doctor Popular Р"M̦bius Strip Tease"
In case you missed it, Doc's Beeps and Smudges is truly his best release yet. 

Track 6: The Vitrolum Republic – "Make Believe Girlfriend"
Featuring the talents of fellow GeekDad Chuck Lawton. 

Track 7: Never Yet Contested – "Get it Down"
Speaking of, I spotlighted NYC's "Retro" single on GeekDad back in November. Since that time the EP has been released in earnest, and I highly suggest you give it a listen. 

Track 8: Tetrastar – "Crank That"
Superpowerless also covered this track with his previous project Scared of Dinosaurs.

Track 9: The Grammar Club – "Super Girls and Ghosts"
On Christmas Day the Club dropped their long awaited follow-up release MC Horse Rides Again. 

Track 10: Say Anything dialog / Stenobot – "Butterfly Wings (feat. Jen Wood)"
It occurred to me that, though I've talked a lot about his latest album, I haven't actually played anything from Sink or Swim We'll Go Together. This situation has now been remedied.

Z's 2nd interlude: "This marathon exposition."
The good news is that this episode features a larger-than-usual collection of songs. The bad is that it also features more of me talking. 

Track 11: A Little Dead Podcast bumper / YTCracker – "Take a Knee"
Because "Quarterback Kneel" doesn't have as nice a ring to it.

Track 12: sadnes – "Bittersweet Symphony"
Yet another amazing cover from sadnes. 

Track 13: Selfhelp – "The Rent is Too Damn High (feat. Ill Seer, prod. by Hoodee)"
The wise words of Jimmy McMillan's core platform celebrated in song. Next up, a track about marrying a shoe. Please?

Track 14: I Fight Dragons – "The Power of Love"
I love the original, and this chip-rock take is equally enamoring.

Track 15: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers dialog / A-1 – "Black Ranger"
A-1's After School Special mixtape is a thing of beauty, and the perfect companion piece to Doctor Octoroc's After These Messages. 

Track 16: Benjamin Bear – "Burning Away (feat. Jaylyn Hindle)"
Your second dose of Jaylyn. 

Z's final interlude: "Another year of my own exploration into nerd-friendly music."
For the record, next year marks my 5th! 

Track 17: Girl Talk – "That's Right"
Likely the best moment of Girl Talk superlative All Day mix.

Thanks to all the listeners new and old that came along with me throughout 2010. It was a great year for the podcast. I mean shit, I won an award! What more can a fellow ask?

Looking forward to 2011, inspired by a particularly interesting listener voicemail I think I'll kick off the year with an upbeat mixtape-style show. From there the sky's the limit, so feel free to hit me up with your own requests or show ideas.

And until then, Happy New Year to all!

No comments: