Monday, June 07, 2010

Bumper to Bumper

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I am simply no good at marketing my own projects.

Sure, I mean, it's kinda my job to talk up other people's shit - to hip you to the new Beefy album or the new Superpowerless video - but when it comes to pushing my own wares I always seem to come up short. This is especially true with regard to the Radio Free Hipster podcast.

Because of the, well, let's just call it rebellious nature of the show's song selection process I am unable to leverage the most powerful force in podcasting, meaning, of course, iTunes. As such, it's remained very much a word-of-mouth affair.

This is a double-edged sword as it both limits my audience and (I hope) helps said listeners to feel more engaged by the project. Stylistically, Radio Free Hipster is part pirate radio and part mixtape-for-a-friend, and there's a strange sort of intimacy that permeates both elements.

Last week I received a message from my homey @bonehand of Seattle's thrice-weekly pop culture/comedy podcast The BoneBat Show requesting an audio promo for RFH. His 'cast typically starts with such a shout-out and, though I didn't exactly have one at the ready, I was inspired to pull something together over the weekend.

I actually think it came out rather well, so I figured I'd share it with the rest of you on the off chance anyone else has need of such a bumper. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Oh, and be sure to peep The BoneBat Show. I think you'll dig it!

Download Radio Free Hipster Bumper 2010 (for all your RFH-shilling needs)

5 comments:

funky49 said...

Nice job on the bumper!

Z. said...

Thanks, Steve. Although we both know you've been admiring my bumper for ages. Hey-oooooh! ;)

funky49 said...

HEY OH!

also, "The avenue was packed"

Church said...

Prolly better to stay under the radar. Pirate Radio FTW!

Z. said...

I can only imagine we're the only ones enjoying this one, Steve. :)

And I think you're right, Church. I am all underground and shit!