Monday, October 29, 2007

Radio Free Hipster Ep. 33: The Geeks Come Out at Night

Sometimes I don’t know where a show is gonna go until it’s finished. This was just such an episode. I had a veritable grocery list of tracks squirreled away for this edition of RFH and I knew from the get-go that there was no conceivable way to work them all in.

I tried sorting them, classifying them, linking them by theme and genre, but in the end none of those felt right. So I did what I always do when I’m in the inspirational doldrums: I just had fun with it.

The show, as it ultimately came together, was a good bit different than I had planned. There was a lot more weird retro tracks (and overall unsettling cheesiness) than a normal episode, but I think things stayed well within the bounds of geeky Halloween revelry.

With the exception of Whodini. I don’t know where the fuck that came from.

Download Radio Free Hipster Ep. 33: The Geeks Come Out at Night (hosting provided by Antisocial) Size: 49.9 MB Running Time: 54:34

Show Notes:

Intro: Baddd Spellah – “Radio Free Hipster Theme (feat. Beefy)”
This Halloween I plan to fuse Beefy and Spellah together a la Brundlefly. True story.

Track 1: Monsters Crash the Pajama Party trailer / The Cure – “Lullaby” / e gibby & slackmaster d – “10Year Old (Lullaby Dub)”
Again, I know that mc isn’t exactly everyone’s favorite person of late, but I think this track is amazing.

Z’s 1st interlude: “Is that sleazy enough for ya?”
I can’t help but feel that Rob Zombie is one of us: he was raised on comic books and trash culture and he spends a significant chunk of his time in costume. That sounds pretty nerdy to me.

Track 2: Frog the Dawg – “DMX vs. Rob Zombie”
Be sure to check out the rest of the songs on the Mashing Pumpkins compilation.

Track 3: Antisocial – “Remember My Name”
Soc sent me this track in the 11th hour, but I liked it enough to put it in. It actually worked out pretty well, as it split up what would otherwise have been a very lengthy mash-up sub-set.

Track 4: Howard Hallis – “Haunted Bela” / DJ NoNo – “County Sound” / Billy Butterfield – “The Headless Horseman”
I was actually hoping to find the version of “The Headless Horseman” included in Disney’s retelling of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but no luck. :(

Track 5: Ton Ruckert – “Humanoids from the Deep” / The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets – “Cthulhu Dreams” / Dave Edmunds – “Creature From the Black Lagoon”
Admittedly, the instrumental lead-up to “Creature From the Black Lagoon” is a little lengthy, but I couldn’t bear to edit either of those tracks any more than I already had.

Track 6: Vampire Playgirls trailer / Mr. Fab – “Dark Shadows Chachacha” / signed long int vs. The Breakfastaz – “The Night I Broke Out
sli provides the first of three tracks from Rhyme Torrent’s Halloween 2.0 compilation. I’ve already spoken at length about it, but let me reiterate that you should check it out.

Z’s 2nd interlude: “A couple of rules of thumb concerning the content for this podcast.”
I do try and refrain from putting too many similarly styled songs together back-to-back as well as including multiple tracks by the same artist, but what fun would rules be if we didn’t bend them?

Track 7: Lon Chaney Jr. – “Spider Baby Theme”
I’d go so far as to say that this is the most disturbing thing Chaney ever did. There’s just something slightly unhinged about his vocal meter and cadence.

Track 8: The Ghastly Ones – “Banshee Beach”
SoCal garage rockers that dress like 19th century morticians? Yeah, you could say that’s nerdy.

Track 9: Graveyard Tramps trailer / Whodini – “The Freaks Come Out at Night”
This is another vanity track: it doesn’t really have anything to do with the show or my underlying theme, but it made the cut for no other reason than the simple fact that I like it.

Track 10: Buddy Morrow and His Orchestra – “The Raven” / MC Lars – “Mr. Raven”
“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I kicked it weak and weary. / Dark and cold just like Lake Erie. Brand new sample, someone clear me.”

Track 11: Thriftshop XL – “Antichrist (EOTMC mix)” / MC Lars The Roommate from Hell (Fire & Ice mix feat. mc chris)
Yep, more Lars and mc chris. I wanted to include the above Raven motif, but I also really wanted to end a set with this track. I ultimately elected to do both.

Z’s final interlude: “It can be as playful or as sinister as you want.”
Let me just pause for a moment to remind you to keep Halloween evil. Don’t have a “Fall Carnival” or a “Harvest Festival:” have a fuckin’ Halloween party complete with witches, vampires, and zombies. You’ll be glad you did.

Track 12: Metamystiks, Inc. – “Voices
Snyder, myf, and SDX are the 3-headed monster of hip-hop. Are they nerdcore? Who gives a shit! They’re excellent musicians and nerdy enough for inclusion; that’s all that matters to me.

Though I’ve still got a few more days of Halloween carousing, I’m already looking toward the next couple of podcasts. Presently, November looks to play host to nerd punk and superhero-themed episodes, and, of course, December will feature a holiday special and a New Year’s party ep.

Got any requests for the above shows? Got any theme ideas for ’08? Just want to tell me that I need a better mic and a more functional grasp of the English language? Well, let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to leave you with one thought:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

Anonymous said...

Zombies Article

Church said...

Nice one Soc.

J3SS said...

z~
thanks for the chunk of awesomeness that is this podcast.

~jess

Z. said...

Very interesting, Soc. Now I can't sleep at night!

Glad you're feeling the podcast, Jess! :)

Unknown said...

Loving all of this!

Z. said...

Thanks, Nik! I made it extra sleazy just for you! ;)