Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nerd News in Brief

The U.K. Subs were right: everything does smell like horse shit down on the farm!

Last weekend, the wife and I took L’il X. to a local pumpkin patch as a little pre-Halloween treat. The pumpkins were pretty picked over and the whole joint reeked, but it wasn’t a total wash; they had llamas.

I dig llamas but I can’t help but be little creeped out by ‘em. There’s just something about those vacant llama eyes that makes me uncomfortable.

Behold the true face of evil.
  • “This is my thesis man! This is my closing argument!”: Computerworld recently ran a story about celebrity geeks. It presents a collection of “celebrities who work at traditional artistic pursuits to make their way in the world, but have been known to kick back with a little astrophysics or microbiology in their spare time.” It’s got some no-brainers (Wil Wheaton and Bill Nye) as well as some surprises. Mr. Bean’s an electrical engineer?
  • Cruciato!: Just last week I was bitching to Matt about the lack of free Wrock, and, lo and behold, yesterday I was directed to this Halloween present from our friends at WizRock.org. It’s a free-to-download album by the Cruciatus Curse. Next I plan to complain about the lack of free booze and videogames and hope for the best.
  • Poor decision making: I recently mentioned my dismay at the “controversy” surrounding J.K. Rowling’s outing Dumbledore. I just didn’t see why it was a big deal. Mostly because I don’t have a huge tattoo of a gay wizard on my back. I feel bad for the guy, but he also has a kid named Paris, so I’m assuming that he makes faux pas like this all the time.
  • Clothe thyself: If you too are presently embarrassed by an enormous tattoo on your back-parts, you might want to cover it up with one of these fine t-shirts from the Jesse Dangerously camp. They feature a delightful cartoon necktie on the front and a screaming Jesse logo on back. Jesse’s also got hardcopies of Verba Volant and Inter Alia for sale as well. They make great gifts, especially for your favorite nerdy music blogger.
  • Another prayer answered: Metamystiks, Inc. MC and occasional producer Mythril Nazgul – known affectionately as Myf – has elected to start releasing more solo joints. His first shot comes in the form a the freestyle “Track Record.” Listen and be amazed.
  • Health update: Thanks to the efforts of cat’s like The Awful Show guys, T.Y.T.’s collected approximately $700 for his father’s liver transplant. T.Y.T. fervently thanks all who have contributed, and he now has merchandise for sale to generate a bit more scratch. Among the items is his new disk “Shattered Life,” from which all proceeds will go to his father’s health care.
  • More ways to help: T.Y.T. is also hoping to put together a Rhyme Torrents compilation album, the sale of which would also supplement his dad’s health care fund. For info on the parties involved or to throw your own hat in the ring, check out this thread.
  • On to a happier subject: Morlocks! Oh yeah, the Daily Mail reports that the human race will one day split into two distinct species: “an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures.” Guess who agrees? Science. Also science fiction, so you really can’t go wrong there.
  • One last thing: I reckon I can only work in one more blatantly Halloween-y vid before y’all start looking at me funny, so allow me to close this final October NNIB with an amazing mash-up. It’s Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” vs. Doves’ “Hit the Ground Running.” Good times!

No comments: