Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nerd justice

I know most of you probably caught this on Digg yesterday, but, as I spent the day crotch-deep in inventory transfer forms, I didn’t notice it until Church sent a link my way.

The long and short of the story is that Workspace, an alternative (and apparently very nerd-friendly) shared work environment in Vancouver, BC, was the victim of a robbery last Friday.

A pair of thieves took four laptops and two iMacs, and, while the crime was captured on a security camera, no usable images of the thieves could be discerned. That is until someone noticed this strange picture in an office Flickr stream!



This cat is at worst one of the perpetrators and at best a fellow using an obviously stolen machine. As I know that a fair chunk of y’all are from The Great Northwest, I thought I’d throw this out there just in case.

If you have any information concerning the identity of this man, please contact the fine folks at INFO [at] ABETTERPLACETOWORK [dot] COM.

6 comments:

Church said...

This was a happy accident (the computer was set up to automatically upload to flickr,) but it could be quite an anti-theft device with the laptops that have a camera above the screen.

Just have a program that sits in the b/g and takes a picture every time it connects to the net. Then it sends it (along with the current IP address) to a secure location of your choosing.

Hmm. Do the same with cell phones: they could send the current GPS location!

Z. said...

Church, I'm gonna have to ask you to take a vow to use your powers for good and not evil. It's just a formality.

Anonymous said...

what a dick tard!

lol.

also, church's idea is distressingly fucking good...

dang

Z. said...

Oh yeah, bro, Church is an idea man. He's the Braniac of our little Legion of Doom. I, consequently, am merely Solomon Grundy.

Church said...

I solemenly swear I'm up to no good...

Anonymous said...

try software called 'undercover' next time..
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/
hidden nerdstyle.

or the cheap version:
http://www.freemacware.com/ialert
hence the car alarm sound.