Wednesday, December 13, 2006

More Nerd News in Brief

Here’s some nerd news you may have missed.

Now-now, don’t feel bad for missing it. You were busy with finals and Christmas shopping and your Laser Tag league. And anyway, that’s what I’m here for: to help you keep on top of shit like that.

Who’s your buddy?
  • Nerdcore is huge in Germany acknowledged by the German press! The European gaming magazine GEE recently did a little piece concerning the “most important nerdcore acts.” Fellow member of the Faithful Seven harrybenson was nice enough to scan the following image of a very sickly looking Frontalot and the accompanying write-ups of 5 nerdcore (or nerdcore-related) artists. Ich bin ein nerdcorer.
  • Did you enjoy the recent Beefy/Goondocks/Optimus Rhyme show at Seattle's Fuel? Would you like to see more nerdy goodness at that venue? Regional mc Tanuki was recently hipped to the fact that Fuel is considering scheduling regular (read: monthly) nerdcore shows. More info on this one as it becomes available.
  • Some songs are inherently violent. In fact, some of them actually fight amongst themselves. Two such tracks include MC Frontalot’s “Livin' at the Corner of Dude and Catastrophe” and Emergency Pizza Party’s “Glutton,” both recent Song Fight! winners. All hail the conquering heroes.
  • And speaking of violence, rather than simply attack the violence of video games, some conservative Christians recently decided to make their own. Based off of the eschatological lit of LaHaye and Jenkins, Left Behind: Eternal Forces puts you in command of God’s own shock troops, killing and converting as you see fit. Ned Flanders would be so proud!
  • In other Godly gaming news, Manifesto Games has recently released The Shiva, a murder-mystery game centered around protagonist Rabbi Stone. Of course, Wal-Mart won’t be selling that one!
  • And lastly, I would like to publicly mourn the loss of beloved American character actor Peter Boyle. While Boyle himself may not’ve been geeky, Young Frankenstein is doubtlessly dripping with nerd appeal. We miss you, big guy.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, crap. It was Peter Boyle who died? I caught the last half of that mention on the radio toay, and I couldn't figure out who the actor was. That sucks.

On happier topics, I don't usually follow songfights too closely (they need to have an elimination round, I don't have the kind of time that would let me evaluate twenty bands) but I did catch Front's "Dude and Catastrophe" and damn if that song hasn't been working through my brain like a Ceti Eel the laste few weeks. (Is OCD catchy?)

And am I a bad person for wanting to play Eternal Forces? I'm sure I must be, although I suspect it's because I'd need to buy a PC to play it...

Anonymous said...

We really do need to have a Faithful Seven logo. Or maybe a secret handshake. Maybe a website where we can organize our professional henching.

Anonymous said...

=/F7\=

I can't tell you any more...

Z. said...

Yep, church, it was Boyle. Quite a bummer, eh? I agree that following SongFights is a bit too much work. An elimination round is definitely what the doctor ordered. Wanting to play the Left Behind game may make you a bad person, but your reference to the Ceti Eel more than makes up for it! ;)

Soc, I think a Faithful Seven logo is also in order, and I think we should runs with church’s idea.