Thursday, June 07, 2012

The Illustrated Man

I dig tribute tracks. I'm not sure what that says about me – I dunno, maybe I'm just morbid – but I do.

Yesterday, tellingly enough during a rare astronomical event, literature lost one of its true visionaries, Ray Bradbury. At 91 it's tough to think he didn't have a good run, but it's a loss that resonates with all who enjoy the written word. Whether your thing is fantasy or horror or sci-fi (and whether or not you ever experienced the exquisite language of the man himself), Bradbury shaped the landscape of what I colloquially refer to as geek lit.

Cats like Stephen King and Neil Gaiman quickly had their say regarding Ray's death and the very real impact his work had on their own, and my buddy Eugene weighed in as well via a track called "F.451."

A dystopian dirge has never sounded so sweet.



"We've got too many internets." – Ray Bradbury

No comments: