Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Radio Free Hipster Ep. 90: Nerdy Black Summer

There are rare occasions when it is acceptable to name a podcast after a Danzig song. Unfortunately, I am unsure whether or not this is such an occasion.

But what are you gonna do?

Yes, it's another sticky summer here in the southeast, so I am all but honor-bound to hit you up with my yearly musical celebration of the hot weather. That's not the entire sum of this episode, mind you, but it proved solid enough bedrock upon which to build a show.

Download Radio Free Hipster Ep. 90: Nerdy Black Summer [hosting provided by Antisoc] Size: 49.5 MB Running Time: 54:05

Show Notes:

Intro: Baddd Spellah – "Radio Free Hipster Theme (feat. Beefy)"
Because nothing says "summertime is here" quite like Beefy and Spellah! 

Track 1: The Garthim-Master – "Welcome to the Internet"
Who knew skekUng had such insight concerning modern electronic communications? 

Z's 1st interlude: "You'll likely notice a few recurring motifs."
This show doesn't have a theme, but instead focuses on summer jams, new releases and listener requests. 

Track 2: Beefy – "Smiles Times [feat. Epic-1 & Schaffer the Darklord]"
Matt suggested this one. I had another With Sprinkles song in mind to simply file under "new hotness," but since this one both has a summer feel and was a request, it gets the hat trick. 

Track 3: Parry Gripp – "Me and You and Pikachu"
Not exactly a new release (it's from January), but vaguely summery with its talk of islands and whatnot. 

Track 4: Math the Band – "Hang Out-Hang Ten"
A song not at all about surfing, but still possessing a certain fun-in-the-sun aesthetic. 

Track 5: Xoc – "Beetlejuice – Sandworm Planet"
This one rounds out a trio of vaguely beach-related tracks, what with its surf rock guitar. And since I haven't plugged it in a while, Xoc's Cinema 80s is the shit. 

Track 6: Bumper: "Bonebat Comedy of Horrors Film Festival Promo"
Since I actually stole the idea of including bumpers for other podcasts in-episode from The Bonebat Show, it seemed only fitting that the first time I do so should reference their Comedy of Horrors film festival. 

Track 7: DJ Topcat – "The Safety Booty" / Tycho Brahe dialog
Do the Ying-Yang twins make constant lyrical reference to onomatopoeia that only they understand, or is it just me? 

Track 8: Americans UK – "John Loves Wayne"
Another brand new release. It's quickly become my new favorite Am UK track. 

Z's 2nd interlude: "Which you may remember from episode 89."
Big thanks to all who listened to, commented on and shared my recent Wil Wheaton mixtape! 

Track 9: MC Gigahertz – "Summertime is Over [feat. OG Don Vito]"
Recently released as a part of the 2010 Puget Sound mixtape, this single was made freely available by new nerdcore netlabel Roll A Twenty. 

Track 10: John Anealio – "Unicorn Pegasus Kitten"
I'm not sure if John's musical interpretation can legally be entered in the fan fic contest it references, but if so it totally deserves to win. 

Track 11: The Kleptones – "Voodoo Sabotage (Beastie Boys vs. The Prodigy vs. Pendulum)"
This one's for my UK brother Talkie_Tim. He wanted to hear a "Sabotage" mash-up, so I pulled this one out of the collection. 

Track 12: Emergency Pizza Party – "The Easy Way" / Hot Shots dialog
I should have a review of the new EPP release Shine Avenue up later this week. In the meantime, enjoy this: it's musical highpoint. 

Track 13: Pixelh8 – "Spiral"
This Pixelh8 track is so new I don't even know if it's been officially released yet. It's from his forthcoming double-album The Schematic. 

Track 14: Calogero – "Pomme C"
And this one's for my pal Church. It popped up on Macenstein last month, and he all but demanded I include it in the rotation. 

Z's final interlude: "I will simply bid you adieu."
I really enjoy bidding you adieu. I like to think it makes us both feel fancy! 

Track 15: Matt Ryd – "California Gurls"
And before anyone says it, yes, I know Matt is actually a Chicago Boy.

I should be able to pull together one more episode before Nerdapalooza, but the content of that show is still up in the air. I've invited both Hex Warrior and Krondor Krew's Masu on to talk about the festival if time allows. If not, I'll simply improvise.

I'm also currently fielding requests regarding a post-Nerdapalooza wrap-up show, and, if you can believe it, recording a special episode on-site. While the former sounds doable, I'm a little iffy on the latter. Still, it doesn't hurt to investigate. I'll simply do whatever I can to properly convey the Nerdapalooza experience to those unable to attend.

Because I'm a giver! ;)

7 comments:

Church said...

"And this one's for my pal Church. It popped up on Macenstein last month, and he all but demanded I include it in the rotation. "

No. No, I'm pretty sure that was a straight-up demand.

Perhaps I'm not being direct enough...

Z. said...

I was actually trying to make you sound like less of a tool, Church, but have it your way! ;)

Church said...

It's not like you're fooling anyone, Z.

Also, did John not enter the fanfic contest with that song? He totally should.

Z. said...

I honestly don't know, Church. We should harass him via Twitter concerning this matter.

Church said...

We all should. @JohnAnealio

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks, Z-man! Can't wait to download the mixtape when I get home!

-Jef UK

Z. said...

Always a pleasure to pimp the Am-UK, Jef. :)