Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Dinosaurus Meets the Reggae Hasid

I do not, as a rule, associate Former Fat Boys with particularly illuminated lyrical content. Don't get me wrong; I like the guys. A lot, in fact. And songs about groupies and saurian super scientists and the Nintendo Wii do have a distinctly uplifting quality, but even at his most emotional – such as his superlative verse about a relationship gone wrong in the FFB remix of One Republic's "Secrets" – $uckSex always manages to come off sardonically matter-of-fact, cleverly detached.

So, of course, when listener Dan the Automaton turned me on to this submission to Matisyahu's "One Day" remix contest, I was rather taken aback.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. I mean, hearing Former Fat Boys add a pair of verses to a joint about striving for peace in a world plagued by violence is a counterintuitive coupling, but that only serves to make it all the more resonant.

Regarding his take on a track that the socially conscious Matisyahu once called "the song I've been wanting to make since I started my career," $uckSex himself weighed in:
I really wanted to find a choir, but I am only one voice right now. My thing is rapping, so I didn't mix up the instrumental too much, but I added two verses. The first is slow and brooding and the second is meant to explode and bring a fast flow to the end. This was an incredible song to be able to add a couple of verses too. It's a simple song and a simple idea, but it really gets you thinking. Kind of made me feel like some of my other tracks are a little shallow. My favorite line is the "one day we're a billion paper planes" line.
If you haven't already, head over to Indaba Music and check out FFB's submission. The winner gets a chance to record with Matisyahu, so maybe cast a vote for it as well if you're so inclined. Either way, definitely make it a point to take in this unlikely (but certainly satisfying) pairing.

No comments: