Thursday, March 12, 2009

Podswap 09 - Y’all Into Swappin’?

Every year I am faced with the same dilemma with regard to April Fools’ Day: Should I take part in the expected bullshittery of posting an obviously erroneous blog entry, or should I just ignore it?

Generally speaking, I choose the latter. I mean, how many dead fairies and two-headed ogres does the world really need?

This year, however, I’d like to try something a little different. Thus, I propose Podswap 09. I see it as a logical extension of Drunken Podcasting Month. In September, we get our drink on. In April, we switch places.

Interested parties are encouraged to, first and foremost, pick a partner. Is there a podcast you really enjoy? A podcaster that you admire? Hell, maybe even someone who inspired you to step up to the proverbial mic? Great! Contact him/her. That is step one.

Next you and your new bestest friend decide in which way you’d like to shake shit up, you define the nature of the swap. You could each simply record your regularly scheduled shows as usual and then, rather than dropping them into your standard RSS feeds, add them to each other’s feeds. Likewise, you could change formats, with podcaster A hosting podcaster B’s show and vice versa. You could even split the difference and host both shows together if you feel so inclined, although that does seem, to quote the prophet Eddie Haskell, like an awful lot of work.

The most important thing is that you and your fellow swap-ey post the resulting episodes – in whatever twisted and perverse form they may take – on April 1st.

That all being said, is anybody actually interested?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're always interested in coming along for your pod-venture rides Z!

Anonymous said...

If I had a podcast, I'd be in there!
I remember an April fool's day probably 5 years ago...
just googled it, I was right about 5 years ago - check out the bottom of this page - https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/askwizards/0404
I didn't exactly believe it, but it didn't occur to me that it was April 1st til the next day

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Of course April fools is right around the corner...

Anonymous said...

I havnt had a chance to talk to Anth but it seems fun! Count Letters vs Numbers as a tenative maybe. We are very mean to other podcasts though. Hmm.

Z. said...

Alright, folks, since some people are actually interested in this AND since we're only a couple weeks away from April 1st, here's my idea; let's just record our shows as usual, but then drop them into each other's RSS feeds. That way we can prank our regular listeners whilst potentially turning them on to new shows. Y'all dig?

J.Goodwin said...

This is an excellent idea. I propose swapping with a podcast that's totally unrelated if at all possible.

Perhaps some guys who run a backyard wrestling podcast out of Omaha could do the hipstercast for a week. It would be great.

Z. said...

You make me smile, J. You really do. :)