Thursday, May 08, 2008

Sharing is caring

Not to state the painfully obvious, but I have not done a great deal of blogging this week. There are a number of reasons for this, but two stand out at the forefront.

First, I have been doing a lot of “micro-blogging” over at Twitter. That service is addictive, not unlike heroin or Animal Crossing. It occurs to me as I type this that it might be a good idea to put one of those Twitter update blocks here Hipster, please! That way you too can enjoy the utter minutiae of my life. I, you see, am a giver.

Secondly, I have been enjoying a number of new and exciting things. Sights and sounds that are both nerdy and delicious. I will now share these items to the best of my ability. As I said, I’m a giver.

Earlier this week, I sang the praises of Seattle hip-hop outfit Southside. No sooner had I done so than a parcel arrived at my doorstep containing both Southside’s Please Southside Don’t Hurt ‘Em – an album that is tough on the outside yet full of flavor and substance, like a fine baguette – and the delightfully titled Gangsta Nerd by Southside rapper Thunderball’s other project Metaforce. Both are masterpieces worthy of the geek rap legacy of Sea-town. Expect tracks to begin creeping into the podcast by month’s end.

I also spoke highly of Trier Music – who will, I must reiterate, be appearing two times on the forthcoming Old Nerdy Bastard compilation. Trier likewise responded by hooking me up with some of his amazing soundtrack work. Both of these, created under the guise of Mindscape Music, can be purchased at a very reasonable price along with a set of related tabletop supplements from DriveThruRPG. These too will make their way into my podcast shortly.

My hot streak continued when I received a message from Derek Dobson, otherwise known as Computerization. Derek shared with me his debut album, a work that can be described as lo-fi indie pop with shades of electro. The site compares it to acts like Postal Service and The Magnetic Fields, which I can totally see. Derek also crafts custom songs for a nominal fee, the cost of which includes a free copy of the album in question to boot. Not surprisingly, these tracks will also be included in future editions of Radio Free Hipster.

Changing gears into the non-musical, I have also become a fervent fan of internet sitcom Dice Jockies after simply viewing the pilot. Writer/producer Charlie Brown caught wind of my tattoo at Boing Boing and rightly assumed that I’d be down to watch a web show centered around the lives of four of New Orleans’s dorkiest denizens. I’ve embedded the premiere episode below for your viewing pleasure.

Yep, I'm a giver.


No comments: