Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nerd News in Brief

This edition of NNIB finds itself a bit tardy because I have, once again, been sick. Such is the glory of parenthood; there’s always some exciting new pathogen making its rounds through the local schools and daycares, and it just can't wait to get home and nestle in the cozy innards of the rents.

Still, it did give me another chance to catch up on my movie viewing. This time around I watched Fido. It’s got Billy Connolly. And it’s about zombies. In an alternate 1950’s timeline. And Carrie-Anne Moss, probably for the first time in her career, doesn’t look severely anemic.

What I’m saying is you should totally put that shit in your Netflix queue.


  • I come from a land downunder: Church found this very interesting piece from Australia’s The Age about the modern nerd and his importance in the overall societal framework. See? We’re fun and functional.
  • The Spellah speaks: After the questions began to arise surrounding Baddd Spellah’s recent Inkling interview, I sought answers from the man himself. He was happy to tell me that MC Jomega is a new artist that came to nerdcore rap via the BC rave scene. BS goes went to say, “She was MCing at a local open-mic night that my friends' hosted. They got to talking and by turns she revealed being a fan of Frontalot; my friends said they knew me and we ended up trying out a recording session.” And so another nerd rap she-challenger appears from the northwest!
  • Bigger=Better: Not content with the regular year-end Top 10 list, my boy Hex Warrior has decided to list 2007's top 100 nerdy artists. Last week he unveiled numbers 100 – 71, including everyone from mCRT to DJ Snyder to my man Glenn Case. Keep an eye on Hex’s MySpace blog for further developments.
  • Color me excited: Not sure if anyone will flip the fuck out over this other than me, but LogicOne recently mentioned that he and Id Obelis were talking about working together on a project. I’m unsure whether it will be a single track or something on a larger scale, but anything that gets two such talented MCs with two such totally different styles together is a fine idea in my book.
  • Cover story: Hot on the heels of his re-mastered Cover Fire Vol. 1, Able-X has just released Cover Fire Vol. 2. Able describes this second chapter as “6 tracks … I didn't write, some from bands you've never heard of.” Best. Tagline. Ever.
  • The clock is ticking: If you’re planning to submit a track for the CAGcast theme song contest I mentioned a while back, time is growing short. The 100th episode of the Cheap Ass Gamer podcast is mere days away, so get to recordin’!
  • The dozens: And speaking of time constraints, solid information concerning Doc Popular’s projected 12-hour music challenge has finally come to light. The project, dubbed Crate Digger Deathmatch by bastard pop royalty and all-around musical mad scientist TradeMark of The Evolution Control Committee, will take place on Saturday, January 5th of next year. The CDD challenges artists, musicians, and producers of every persuasion and caliber to create at least six 2-minute tracks from no more than $12 worth of music and permissible items purchased from thrift stores. And you gotta do it in only 12 hours. More info should be available for interested parties within the coming week.
  • Everything I needed to know I learned from Star Trek: From my man Church comes a trio of Trek-related pieces. The first is a DOD-approved training module boasting the unlikely title Leadership, The Final Frontier: Lessons From the Captains of Star Trek. The second is about a Klingon adaptation of A Christmas Carol that was performed last week in Minneapolis. And lastly, we have the results from a Worth 1000 contest called If Trekkies Ruled.
  • Better late than never: Matt keeps reminding me (and I keep forgetting) about Wizrocklopedia's 12 Days of Wrockmas. Essentially it's a new FREE Wizard Rock track every day for nearly two weeks from our friends at the 'Pedia. Be warned, though, the tracks are availabe for a very limited time.
  • Words can’t explain: My gal-pal and all around freaky chick Buttnik sent me a Gizmodo UK link that’s left me perplexed and summarily amused. Two words: gadget bondage. Two more: the fuck?
  • For the occultist who has everything: Denika and Dennis turned me on to Etsy a while ago, but I never imagined you could get Lovecraftian Christmas ornaments. Daddy needs an Elder Sign!
  • The Great Old Ones: Also of interest to Miskatonic University alum is this fine selection of high quality MP3 albums from nerd rock icons The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets available at Kerf Music. CDs are for Deeps Ones.
  • I am nerd of the week: I would like to accept the Vaguely Qualified Productions award for Nerd of the Week on behalf of all blogger nerds, and I’d like to… What? No actual award? Then fuck that noise!




1 comment:

Church said...

Weird thing is, I want to tie up my iPhone.

It's been bad, you understand....