Monday, October 15, 2007

Radio Free Hipster Ep. 32: The Zombie Beat

This episode takes its name from a particularly grisly motif used in the 2000 AD comic Bad Company. In case you’re unfamiliar with the book, let me break it down for you.

Bad Company follows the experiences of a platoon of miscreants fighting an alien race known as the Krool on a distant planet called Ararat. The story is told through the diary entries of Danny Franks, a young soldier who finds himself conscripted into the company’s after the slaughter of his own platoon.

The thing that always fascinated me as a kid reading these stories was the ruthlessness of the Krool. Perhaps their greatest tactical advantage was the implementation of War-Zombies. Employing their alien technology to create an ultra high-frequency “zombie beat,” the Krool would quite literally send the enemies resurrected dead to attack their own front lines.

As a ten year-old, I didn’t see the poignancy of having soldiers literally haunted (hunted?) by their dead compatriots, but the concept alone was enough to scare the shit out of me and feed and already sizable zombie-phobia.

Download Radio Free Hipster Ep. 32: The Zombie Beat [hosting provided by Antisocial] Size: 42.8 MB Running Time: 46:50


Show Notes:

Intro: Baddd Spellah – “Radio Free Hipster Theme (feat. Beefy)”
When the zombie apocalypse rears its rotten head, I want these two cats on my team.

Track 1: Bush Sees New Threat dialogue / Jonathan Coulton – “Re Your Brains”
Being assaulted by zombies is bad enough. Realizing that their leader is that asshole from the next cubicle is pure horror. Bravo, Mr. Coulton.

Z’s 1st interlude: “I have had an alarming number of people request a zombie-themed episode.”
You guys want zombies? Well, I’ll give you zombies!

Track 2: Night of the Living Dead dialogue / Switchblade KittensAll Cheerleaders Die
I’ll fight any man who speaks ill of Drama’s end-of-verse squeak in this track. It really makes the song.

Track 3: ZeaLouS1 – “Necrophilianomenon

I’ve always known that Z1 has a thing for zombies. I just didn’t realize it was, y’know, kinky.

Track 4: Theme from Zombie / Return of the Living Dead dialogue / The Misfits – “Night of the Living Dead”
The Misfits are rendered even dorkier by a complete and total lack of self-awareness.

Track 5: Zombie dialogue / Redneck Zombies dialogue / Glenn Case – “Sea of Zombies
Glenn has a song for all occasions. Let there be no mistaking.

Track 6: The Sprites – “George Romero
Leave it to Matt to throw some infectious indie pop into the mix. This is, perhaps, the most upbeat song about the undead of all time.

Track 7: Mr. Fab – “Cannibal Zombie Mom
Contrary to what I said, “Dark Shadows Chachacha” was not included in the final mix. Perhaps I’ll throw it in next episode.

Track 8: Night of the Living Dead dialogue / The Besties – “Zombie Song”
Be sure to check out this live video of “Zombie Song.” It’s a tragic tale of post-mortem romance.

Z’s 2nd interlude: The brains – no pun intended – behind Revenant, the Web’s premiere zombie magazine.”
Let me, once again, thank DJ Chubby Cheeks for hooking me up with some creepy beats. Give him some love on MySpace and don’t forget to peep Revenant.

Track 9: Theme from Redneck Zombie / Wednesday 13 – “I Walked with a Zombie”
Wednesday 13 is from Charlotte, so he’s sort of a local favorite. If you’re looking for a perfect blend of Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper, the Murderdolls, the Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13, and his solo work are all highly recommended.

Track 10: DJ Chubby Cheeks – “Cognac” / What to do In a Zombie Attack dialogue
Check out What to do In a Zombie Attack for survival tips and patriotic posturing.

Track 11: Theme from Night of the Living Dead / Return of the Living Dead dialogue / Songs To Wear Pants To – “Shoot the Zombies
Songs To Wear Pants To apparently writes songs by request. Thanks to Church for directing me to this one.

Track 12: DJ Snyder – “Monstrous (feat. Brainthirst)
Inclusion of nerdcore’s only zombie MCs seemed obligatory.

Track 13: Zombie Nation vs. Goblin – “Zombiv vs. Kernkraft 400 (Osymyso mix)”
Inclusion of some Shaun of the Dead also seemed compulsory.

Z’s finale interlude: “I’ve always sort of wondered about the correlation between nerds and zombies.”
Nerds love zombies. Zombies also love nerds, though, so I suppose it’s alright.

Track 15: Young Zombies in Love soundtrack – “Life Ahead of Us” / Redneck Zombies dialogue
I thought I’d change shit up and end on an upbeat track. The “knockers” thing was sort of an afterthought. ;)

There are a lot of songs about zombies, and, by simple virtue of topic, they’re pretty much all nerdy. The walking dead just seem to perk up the old creativity-bone; zombies are cool like that.

I’ve always purported that I’m more concerned about a zombie plague than domestic terrorism. Why? Well, while I don’t know how many sleeper cells there are in upstate South Carolina, I do know there are a helluva lot more corpses.

7 comments:

Dick said...

damn man, i enjoyed that so much i listened twice :P

Z. said...

Thanks, Pink. It was a little short on the hip-hop, but I think it came together nicely.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got two tracks on the show!

So is that the first time I've gotten a shout out, or was I just not paying attention the first time?

Z. said...

I'm pretty sure I've shouted you out before, Matt. You, Church, Pinky, and Denika tend to be referenced pretty often both because of song suggestions and overall input into the show themes themselves.

Anonymous said...

So basically you're telling me that I need to stop slacking off and pay more attention to these shows?

God you're such a slave driver.

:)

Dick said...

were all raving Z fans deep down :P

Z. said...

That's about the size of it, Matt. ;)

And I always appreciate the love from the Aussie crew, Pink. You're a fine bunch of lads.